Sunday 23 August 2015

Running Essentials 101 #1

I ran 10 miles this morning. This actually took me a little a-back as, as much as I've been training recently, I haven't done that much running and had a shocker of an 8-miler last weekend which put me off completely, making me feel like my running mojo was well and truly gone.

Somehow, this morning my running seemed back on track, which was a great feeling to have, especially with only three weeks left until the Great North Run (bring it on). 

It was pretty warm along the coast this morning and it got me to thinking about how running in the heat can be a little bit grim. Yes, the sun is amazing to run in, and I much prefer this to hoicking on my trainers in the cold of winter. However, there are some not so lush things that happen during a run in the sun; red moon face, can't get cool for HOURS afterwards and the grim reality of chafing. Yes, chafing.

For some reason, I seriously only ever thought men got nipple chafing from any kind of exercise (I have been living under a rock apparently), but over the past couple of years, I've actually been experiencing this at the top of my thighs without knowing? Massively GRIM and I am well aware this is TMI, but bear with me.

Weirdly, I just thought I was getting sunburn in an odd place as I'm prone to getting a bit lobster even with sun protection and have only ever had this skin irritation when running in shorts in the summer. However, it wasn't until recently that I realised this must be the c word (shudder).

As much as it is totally grim  (how many times do I want to say grim?) and a bit embarrassing, I've been looking into a few products which can help beat that chafing feeling, wherever you may be experiencing it. Step right up and take note in #1 of Running Essentials 101.



BodyGlide 
I have the say the name of this makes me snigger a bit, but hey, it does exactly what it says on the tin. This is one of the more commonly known anti-chafe products and has a few different variations in the range in a handy stick applicator. This is apparently particularly very good for triathletes and anything doing a lot of surfing etc but it's also superb for any type of athlete to make sure those nasty irritations don't rear their head.

Vaseline Petroleum Jelly
Good old Vaseline! The perennial lip balm du jour is such a good multi-purpose product, and is ideal to stop the chafe. I would say stick with the original formula if using this for sport though, as I think the versions with added shea butter et al may cause a reaction if you have particularly sensitive skin. This is a total hero product at a bargain price - I've just picked up the compact size of the wonder stuff to pop in my bumbag (yes, I have a bumbag...) on GNR day, so I'm prepared incase the chafe rears it's ugly head.

Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream
Definitely not one to use in your day-to-day exercise (unless you're a millionaire), but this does the job really well. Yes it's a little bit stickier than the 'Glide and trusty Vaseline, but ensures you get that protective barrier to stop clothes rubbing against your skin.


Do you have any anti-irritation products worth shouting about when it comes to beating that sport-based chafe?
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Alice Mary Barnes | Lifestyle, Wellbeing and Healthy Living | Newcastle, UK. All rights reserved.
MINIMALIST BLOG DESIGNS BY pipdig